Just to the north of East St. Louis in National City is a very large abandoned meat processing plant. Armour and Company are perhaps best known for developing Dial soap, but they were primarily a slaughterhouse company. This meat processing plant was built in 1928 and ceased operations in 1959.
The Armour and Dial brands continue to exist, though these properties are now held by new owners.
Ecology of Absence – Hog Capital of the Nation
Arial view of the Armour Meat Packing Plant
Historical timeline of Armour and Company